Yes, Valentine’s Day is upon us again. It’s the season of Cupid’s arrows, red roses, and boxes of chocolate. While the commercialism of it all is obvious, it got us thinking. How many of us actually love what we do professionally? Whether it’s in your business, job, or more specifically, your marketing, we should all love what we’re doing each and every day. Here are a few ways to assess if you love what you do… and how to change it if you don’t.
Loving your business
This is for all the business owners out there: are you still passionate about your business? Are you excited about your company’s possibilities and future? If the answer is ‘no’ (or even a weak ‘meh’), it’s time to reevaluate and get re-inspired. Here are a few quick tips for getting back that loving feeling:
- Attend a trade show or two: Sometimes seeing what others in your industry are doing can spark great ideas and reinvigorate your business.
- Have candid discussions with staff: Your employees are the front line of your business, and their interaction with customers is crucial. Ask them what the company is doing well, and how it could be improved. You might be surprised by the ideas and insights you hear.
- Conduct a customer survey: We all like to think that our customers love us… but do they really? Conducting a customer survey can help you better serve your patrons and get a solid grasp of public perception. Plus, you may even hear a few good ideas that you can easily implement to keep them coming back!
Loving your job
For those non-business owners out there, it can sometimes be tough to love your job or even your career field as a whole. We think there are two scenarios when it comes to job dissatisfaction. You either need a completely new career path, or you simply must refresh (or let go of) some responsibilities.
- New career path: Don’t quit your day job just yet. Do your research on fields you’re interested in, as well as any educational requirements. Conduct informational interviews with professionals in the field to get the good, the bad, and the ugly about their job. Once you have done the legwork, you’ll feel more comfortable jumping ship.
- New/different responsibilities: Maybe you like your current job, but just feel like you’re in a rut. We’ve all been there. Speak with your manager about refreshing your responsibilities. See if you can take on a more strategic role on your team, ask to shadow a colleague, or volunteer for new or interesting projects. This has an additional benefit of positioning you as a motivated (and promotable) employee.
Loving your marketing
Whether you’re a business owner or marketing professional, great marketing is key to loving your job. Marketing drives customers and sales, which is ultimately the main contributor to success. Marketing should never be monotonous. If you’re feeling a little bored in your efforts, Schramm Marketing has a few ideas to spice up your marketing game:
- Rebranding: Is your logo looking a little 1997 instead of 2017? Opt for a logo and brand refresh… or a complete overhaul!
- Unique promotions: Are your promotions the same year after year? Let us help you launch promotions that are fresh and totally attention-grabbing.
- Updated website: Website is a bore? We’ll help you attract and keep customers on your site with innovative design and compelling calls to action.
Make Valentine’s Day the day when you start loving what you do again. After all, life is too short for anything less.